[3dem] Using SerialEM and Leginon on same scope

Matthias Wolf matthias.wolf at oist.jp
Fri Aug 30 21:52:13 PDT 2019

I may have created the impression of preferably endorsing EPU and SerialEM. I did not intend to suggest this.
The former is just often preferred by users and facility managers due its simplicity. The latter offers most functionality for tomography acquisition.

For a larger center with more than one or two scopes, leginon wins hands down - this is because of its integrated database, which facilitates the tracking of projects, scope parameters, gain references, storage locations, logical separation of non-affiliated groups by access permissions, etc. Leginon has also had on-the-fly features for the last 10 years such as background data transfer from the acquisition file server, automated CTF and particle selection all the way to 2D and 3D processing with Appion.

While SerialEM is great, it does not offer any project management features. The Jensen lab has long been using the leginon/Appion pipeline for batch tomography and everyone knows that they have great results.

Only recently, with the advent of dedicated on-the-fly software like Scipion, TranSphire, Focus and Warp, standalone-packages like EPU, UCSFImage, Gatan's Latitude and SerialEM have become more integrated into the general workflow, which allows for additional flexibility in creating custom processing pipelines.

   Matthias