[3dem] Data storage and compression

Craig Yoshioka yoshiokc at ohsu.edu
Thu Aug 29 23:50:40 PDT 2019

Interested in all of your takes on 2 things:

(1) I think libtiff has supported building with Zstandard support for a bit (though it is not a common compilation option).  My guess is TIFF+ZStandard will do quite a bit better in the general-case compression dept. than LZW.  Does anyone expect that software packages would automatically work with such images if I built libtiff with Zstandard and linked against it?  I suppose I could just try it, but have not had the chance yet…

(2) For cameras like the F3 that output movies with gains pre-applied- it would seem some amount of lossy compression is required to achieve reasonable compression savings- has anyone looked at using “error-bounded” lossy compression algorithms in this use case?  My very naive attempt at quantizing the pixel values (drop 5 LSB) was promising but needs a lot more characterization:

    original Falcon 3 MRC to TIFF-LZW : 1.9GB -> 1.3GB
quantized Falcon 3 MRC to TIFF-LZW : 1.9GB -> 295MB

both movies got ~ the same CTF fit limit after motion correction and fitting (3.3 vs 3.1), the RMSD between the two final aligned averages was 0.041.