[3dem] Data storage and compression

Ali Punjani alipunjani at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Aug 29 12:35:48 PDT 2019

Hi Matthew,

In cryoSPARC, LZW compressed tiff files are handled natively and
decompressed in parallel on the fly as needed. They are never stored in
decompressed form, so the original tiff files (created by IMOD, serialEM,
etc) are retained throughout a project. This is a very common workflow,
though as noted, for effective tiff compression the movies should not be
gain corrected - the gain reference must be stored separately and provided
at import time.

Ali