[3dem] Data storage and compression

Takanori Nakane tnakane at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 29 12:25:29 PDT 2019

Hi,

 > Is it possible to convert mrc files to compressed tiff immediately after
 > data collection,

Yes.

SerialEM can directly write in compressed TIFF.

For EPU and K2/K3, it is very important to select
'gain-unnormalised MRC' for compression to work.
Gain-normalised, floating point MRC compresses very poorly.

For Falcon, ZIP compression in TIFF is better (but slower).

 > motioncor2, RELION

Yes.

 > keep everything compressed

All derivatives (aligned and summed micrographs, extracted particles,
etc) are uncompressed MRCs but the original movie can remain
TIFF throughout the processing.

Best regards,

Takanori Nakane