[3dem] Postdoc: in situ cryo-ET with long-term funding in Munich

Ben Engel engelben at biochem.mpg.de
Tue Aug 13 08:17:49 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,

We are searching for an awesome postdoc to become the “computational heart”
of our new group at the Helmholtz Pioneer Campus in Munich.  This position
has long-term prospects and is fully funded for at least the next FIVE
YEARS.  It can start as early as November 2019.

In our *Cell Architecture Lab*, we use in situ cryo-electron tomography to
explore the native cellular environment at molecular resolution.  We study
the molecular architecture of eukaryotic organelles (including the cilium,
Golgi, and chloroplast) in a wide variety of organisms, from human cells to
ecologically important marine algae.  We are particularly interested in
understanding how the molecular architecture of the chloroplast is affected
by environmental stresses caused by climate change.  For more information,
please check out our group’s brand-new website:

https://www.cellarchlab.com/

We are looking for someone with a background in computation and image
analysis who is comfortable with Linux, Matlab, Python, etc.  Experience
with cryo-EM structure determination (single particle or subtomogram
averaging) is a plus.  This postdoc will take a leading role as the group’s
computational expert.  In addition to their own independent projects, they
will help our more biologically focused group members push their analysis
forward.  This postdoc will also help build our new computer system and
manage our software.

The Helmholtz recently invested heavily into a new artificial intelligence
initiative (https://www.haicu.de/), headed by our next-door neighbor, the
Institute of Computational Biology.  Therefore, joining our group provides
the unique opportunity to synergize with this rich computational community
to develop deep learning tools for the analysis of cellular tomograms, with
the ultimate goal of making “visual proteomics” a reality.

Although we are looking for a computational postdoc, there will be plenty
of opportunities to "get your hands dirty" and learn focused ion beam
milling and high-resolution cellular tomography, both in our new lab at the
Helmholtz Pioneer Campus and through our continued collaboration with the
Baumeister Department at the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry.

For more details or to apply, please contact me at: engelben at biochem.mpg.de.

The application should include:

1) A short 1-2 paragraph introduction about your background and goals.
What are your strengths, and what would you like to learn?

2) A full-length CV, including a list of publications and the contact
information for two references.

We will continue to accept applications until this position is filled.
Come join us in *Munich*, the best place to live in the world!

Best wishes,
Ben Engel

-----
Dr. Benjamin Engel
Department of Molecular Structural Biology
Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry

engelben at biochem.mpg.de
+49 89 8578-2653