[3dem] new camera ...

Reinhard Rachel Reinhard.Rachel at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Apr 25 02:10:50 PDT 2019

Hi Denis,
just a remark ... I understand the hype about the direct detector cameras ...
BUT, for daily work, I still prefer the 'old' technology with scintiallator which you can buy e.g. at TVIPS (e.g. the TVIPS FX416) which is very sensitive (although not being a direct detector ... yes, this is possible), and which is very fast, in addition (CMOS technology). And it is affordable, IMO, and reliable.
we are successfully using an 'old' F416 since 6-7 years on a 200kV FEG TEM (JEOL 2100F) and are very satisfied.
Large detector area. Excellent for both, imaging and diffraction. Perfect for cryo-screening anyway (e.g. using SerialEM), and good enough for tomography of plastic or even cryo-tomo, as the sensitivity is high.
kind regards - Reinhard

--
Prof. Dr. Reinhard Rachel
University of Regensburg
mail reinhard.rachel at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
office: VKL 3.1.29
member of the IFSM board

Next microscopy conferences:
- Microscopy Conference MC2019, 1.-5. Sept 2019 in Berlin
- EMC2020 in Kopenhagen, 23.-28.8. 2020 (European conference)
- MC2021 in Vienna (D-A-CH conference)