[3dem] dm3 vs dm4 format?

Ludtke, Steven J. sludtke at bcm.edu
Tue Apr 16 11:06:36 PDT 2019

The DMx formats are proprietary Gatan formats, and they have a fairly complicated internal structure. We got enough information  to write readers for both formats in EMAN2, but we are not able to properly read all possible header metadata. If memory serves, the primary difference between DM3 and DM4 is whether the internal pointers are 32 or 64 bit ints, but I may be misremembering.

Someone from Gatan is welcome to post and contradict any of these statements :^)

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <sludtke at bcm.edu<mailto:sludtke at bcm.edu>>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology                      (www.bcm.edu/biochem<http://www.bcm.edu/biochem>)
Academic Director, CryoEM Core                                        (cryoem.bcm.edu<http://cryoem.bcm.edu>)
Co-Director CIBR Center                                    (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr<http://www.bcm.edu/research/cibr>)