[3dem] [ccpem] RTX 2080 Benchmarks?

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 19 10:38:14 PDT 2018

My take-home message from a recent NVIDEA presentation in our lab was
that number of floating-point processors within the GPUs is shifting
towards 16bit FPUs at the cost of reducing (or maintaining) the number
of 64bit FPUs .  As a general trend, this means a shift towards faster
graphic processing rather than towards faster scientific processing.
Indeed in the quick search on benchmarks I just did, I only saw ~30%
improvement mentioned with respect games that I have never even heard
of. Thus keep your scientific processing expectations under control!

My two cents,

Marin

On 19/09/2018 13:38, Shintaro Aibara wrote:
> We'll wait and see, it'll largely depend on your CPU's ability to keep
> your GPUs fed with data.
> I suspect the typical workstation will not see much speed gain unless
> you have a very powerful CPU.
>
> I suspect the 1080Ti will still be the better buy for its larger
> memory capacity.
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 6:26 PM Yehuda Halfon
> <yehuda.halfon at weizmann.ac.il <mailto:yehuda.halfon at weizmann.ac.il>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Douglas,
>
>     I don't think they aren't out for the public yet. I think the
>     "founder" edition will be out at the 21.9 and I think the relion
>     users will wait for the "blower" edition so our workstations won't
>     die of overheating.
>
>     Yehuda Halfon

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/LNNano, Campinas, Brazil

     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
             marin.vanheel(A_T)lnnano.cnpem.br
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing
     Leiden University
     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology
     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     email: m.vanheel(A_T)imperial.ac.uk

I receive many emails per day and, although I try,
there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email.