[3dem] 3 lens condenser alignment issues

Michal Babiak babiakmiso at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 03:40:27 PDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

I would like to ask for advice regarding the alignment of 3rd condenser
lens on Titan system. Since (my) first interaction with the instrument, I
have troubles dealing with the beam shift induced by changed excitation of
C3. Repeating the Condenser alignment procedures does not seem to help. In
direct alignments, playing wih "Condenser center TEM" helps a bit, but only
in a limited range of illuminated area and the beam shift is never gone
completely.

Service engineer recommended us, that this issue requires to re-align whole
column. This was performed, but the effect was very small, if any.

Does (did?) any of you observe similar behavior? Is there any trick that is
worth trying, or am I missing something? Thank you for your opinions.

Sincerely
--
Michal Babiak
Core Facility Cryo-Electron Microscopy and Tomography