[3dem] North Atlantic Microscopy Society (NAMS) Inaugural Symposium at Princeton University. Nov 1, 2018.

Paul P. Shao pshao at princeton.edu
Mon Oct 1 07:07:58 PDT 2018

Hello!

For registration,  namsmicroscopy.com/meeting-registration<http://namsmicroscopy.com/meeting-registration>

We are very proud and excited to announce the formation of a new society, The North Atlantic Microscopy Society (NAMS). Geographically centered at Princeton, NJ, we envision our coverage to span southern New York, New Jersey and into Pennsylvania. NAMS was born not simply because we noticed a distinct gap in regional cohesion. But because we are passionate about microscopy in all its forms and believe that we are not alone.

Edwin Hubble famously said, "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science." We believe that some of this exploratory instinct has been muted lately by our disciplinary silos. Individually, we have become exceptional in our specialties and do not take moments to appreciate the many discoveries happening across the entire spectrum of science.

Our mission is to bridge these silos through the lens of microscopy. We seek to achieve this mission by promoting microscopy education, stimulating networking among microscopists, and disseminating microscopy knowledge and skills to the public in the region.

Our first Symposium will be held at Princeton University on November 1, 2018.  We are planning bi-annual symposia, with the fall event always held at Princeton, and the spring event held at rotating locations throughout the region (April '19 tentatively being held at Rockefeller University). We are also planning smaller satellite meetings throughout the academic year.  Registration payment covers both symposium and satellite meetings.

Please see below for schedule.  We have a full day planned!

And, if you present a poster or a 5 minute lightning talk, the event is FREE!!!

Abstracts accepted on registration page of website namsmicroscopy.com<http://namsmicroscopy.com>

8:15a                                     Registration/Breakfast
9a-9:30a                                Opening Remarks
9:30a-10:30a                         EM talk
                                                   Esther Bullitt - Boston University
10:30a-10:45a                      Break
10:45a-12p                           Break out into two rooms
                                                            6-5 min Light talks
                                                            6-5 min EM talks
12p-2:30p                             Lunch/vendor session/posters/PRISM tour
2:30p-3:30p                          Keynote/Light talk
                                                Hari Shroff - NIH
3:30p-3:45p                          Break
3:45p-5p                               Panel discussions
                                                   Cryo-EM sample prep
                                                   Mass Spec imaging
                                                   Lightsheet imaging
                                                   Big Data
5p-                                        Organizational/Administrative  (pizza/beverages) (WE need help!!!)
                                                   Treasurer
                                                   Web Design
                                                   Secretary

NAMS souvenir tote bags to the first 50 registered attendees!

Speakers (lightning talks) and poster presenters attend free!  Looks great on the CV! Sign up now and share your Science!

Spring symposium confirmed at Rockefeller April 5, 2019!  Fall 2019 at Princeton.  Spring 2010 tentatively held at UPENN!

Almost 20 vendors!  10 vendor talks!

NAMS Co-Founders
Gary Laevsky
Paul Shao