[3dem] Display problem of coot, chimera, e2display.py through the network with NVIDIA driver

naitow naitow at spring8.or.jp
Thu Nov 22 01:27:43 PST 2018

Dear all,

We are struggling with display problems of coot, UCSF chimera, e2display.py through the network with the NVIDIA driver.

I install these display programs onto a CentOS7 GPU server.
I also set up another CentOS6 machine with a Quadro card for 3D stereo viewing.
When I ssh in the CentOS7 sever from the CentOS6 machine and run coot, chimera and e2display.py, all the programs stop and fail to display graphics due to libGL errors like below,

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

If a GPU server is CentOS6 or use the nouveau driver instead of NVIDIA in the client machine, no display problem occurs.
I think CentOS6 with a Quadro card and the NVIDIA driver is necessary for 3D stereo, and CnetOS7 is preferable for many programs like relion-3, eman2, phenix, and so on.

I would really appreciate your advice on this issue.
Thank you so much in advance.

Hisashi