[3dem] falcon 3 cameras?

Rebecca Thompson R.F.Thompson at leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 31 00:49:08 PDT 2018

Hi,

We have had a really good experience with our Falcon 3. In Leeds we have two Krioses, one with F3 and the second with energy filtered K2 and phase plate. The filtered K2 is undeniably better for tomography, but for a broad range of single particle applications we have been really impressed with the F3. We offer external access to academics and industry, for these users for single particle applications usage is split pretty evenly across the K2 and F3. Our internal users for standard single particle applications probably lean towards the F3.

In counting mode at the moment we usually get ~ 25 images/hour, and we have got a sub 3 A structures routinely for specimens we would expect to get there, but interestingly a lot of the time we are using the detector in integrating mode! For larger specimens (viruses/ribosomes) we routinely collect on Quantifoil grids and get 70-90 images/hour, or carbon backed lacey grids where we can get over 150 images an hour. The speed of collection means we can routinley get to sub 3 A with relatively short data collection sessions (especially with icosahedral viruses!). But we have also found the F3 in integrating mode ideal for looking at more heterogeneous and flexible specimens (benefit from larger datasets over a comparable time period compared with counting, datasets which can then be sub classified) even when these are relatively small (for example see Ieva Drulyte’s tweet<https://twitter.com/IevaDrulyte/status/960917363930562560>). We compensate for the loss of contrast compared with counting mode by using relatively high doses (60-110 e/A2). We don’t have a phase plate on our Falcon 3 microscope so I can’t comment on this.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Becky

Rebecca Thompson
Senior cryo-Electron Microscopy Support Scientist/Facility manager
Astbury Biostructure Laboratory
University of Leeds

Email r.f.thompson at leeds.ac.uk<mailto:r.f.thompson at leeds.ac.uk>
Phone 0113 3438957/3438959 (office/Titan Krios control room)
Mobile 07816179813
Location Roger Stevens 5.40
Linkedin   https://uk.linkedin.com/in/1rebeccathompson
Twitter  Bex_16