[3dem] Any SubAngstrom storage system users?

Briegel, A. a.briegel at biology.leidenuniv.nl
Fri May 25 03:15:27 PDT 2018

Dear Toby,
We use an open source system described here:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/microscopy-and-microanalysis/article/an-opensource-storage-solution-for-cryoelectron-microscopy-samples/1E9D131E1423B49F2A466536B58A01F1

If you have access to a machine shop, it’s a more affordable alternative. We are very happy with it.
Best wishes,
Ariane
Sent from my iPhone

On 25 May 2018, at 12:03, Cristina Paulino <c.paulino at rug.nl<mailto:c.paulino at rug.nl>> wrote:

Hi Toby,
Me and my group are using it and we are vey happy with it.
We find it very handy and allows to stay very well organised. The grids are also nicely secured in particular when you want to ship them.
In terms of negative feedback there is not much to say, minor things are that the magnets get pretty strong once frozen and you need to practice the pushing in and pulling out of the pucks into the rack and the the metal that hangs the rack in the dewar is a bit thicker than normal racks so that the dewar lid needs to be pushed in a bit. And of course we would all be happy if these things would be less expensive. But this is really minor. Overall I am super happy with it and it is better than anything I've used before. Thus I can recommend it.

Hope this helps,
Cristina

Dr. Cristina Paulino
Assistant Professor at the Department of Structural Biology
Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB)
Faculty of Science and Engineering , University of Groningen
Nijenborgh 7, 9747 AG Groningen, The Netherlands
Room 5171-0054
Phone: +31 50 363 34 02
Email: c.paulino at rug.n<mailto:c.paulino at rug.nl>l
https://www.rug.nl/research/electron-microscopy