[3dem] Relion T symmetry vs D2

Luecke, Hartmut hudel at uci.edu
Sat Mar 31 04:14:26 PDT 2018

HeiHei!

I am refining a tetrahedral enzyme complex with Relion.  For some reason I cannot get symmetry “T” to work.  When I use D2 refinement gets to 3.2 Å resolution with nice side chain density, but with T symmetry (and the reference map rotated such that one of the 3-folds is along z) I get huge angular (in)accuracies of 20-30 degrees, aka refinement fails.

I checked this webpage:

https://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion/index.php?title=Conventions_%26_File_formats

and noticed “3-fold axis on Z (deviating from Heymann et al!)”.  This does not state where the 2-fold are expected.  Furthermore, I cannot get the (misspelled) command mentioned below that table to work:

reline_refine --sym D7 --print_symmetry_ops

And neither this command:

relion_refine --sym T --print_symmetry_ops

which gives this error:

[hudel at aristotle]$ relion_refine --sym T --print_symmetry_ops

The following errors were encountered upon command-line parsing:

ERROR: Argument --i not found or invalid argument

ERROR: Argument --o not found or invalid argument

ERROR:

Errors encountered on the command line (see above), exiting...

File: /lsc/sources/relion/src/ml_optimiser.cpp line: 1286

[hudel at aristotle]$

Does anyone know how I should reorient my reference map (and mask) for full T (12x)  symmetry refinement instead of D2 (4x)?  For example the chimera or dynamo commands?  Or, better yet, is there a secret T setting in Relion that allows the 2-folds to remain on the principal axes (and a 3-fold on 1,1,1)?  Checking the source code I found Th and Td, but these have extra (achiral) symmetry elements.

Thanks, Hudel

--
Prof. Hartmut Luecke
Structural Biology and Drug Discovery

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.