[3dem] Issue with Thon rings

Schwartz, Cindi (NIH/NIAID) [E] cindi.schwartz at nih.gov
Mon Mar 12 15:52:35 PDT 2018

Hi Vishaka,

Last week, we noticed a similar phenomenon on our newly installed Falcon III. We collected data with the Falcon III on our Krios using both EPU and manual collection via TIA. (Long exposures, many fractions, multiple magnifications) In our case, we saw that the thon rings weren’t missing per se, but we were getting extremely high defocus (~20 um defocus on some images) and so we couldn’t see the thon rings out to the edge. In the software, we have the focus set at -1 to -3. So we tried collecting manual images and got similar results (used EPU to switch states to ease imaging). We are positive we are at eucentric height and are at focus when we start. We checked using the diffraction pattern before imaging in nearby regions on the same ‘flat’ grid square.

I wonder if there is a bug somewhere in the software/hardware because your image looks very underfocus. Could it be that instead of the normal defocus you think you should be getting, you are just getting some crazy defocused image?

Are other people experiencing this? Is it something to do with the autofocus routine or the amount of signal in a focus area needed for cross correlation? Scope alignments?

Thanks,
Cindi

--
Cindi L. Schwartz