[3dem] Postdoctoral Positions in Structural Biology – Maier Lab, Biozentrum, Basel, Switzerland

Timm Maier timm.maier at unibas.ch
Wed Jul 11 09:37:11 PDT 2018

The Maier Lab is looking to recruit postdoctoral scientists to study giant multienzymes, regulatory complexes and metabolic regulation.

We employ a combination of structural biology techniques, in particular cryo-EM, X-ray crystallography and XL-MS at state-of-the-art level to resolve the architecture of large protein assemblies. Additionally, we aim to visualize dynamics of multienzyme factories and transient regulatory interactions in eukaryotic cells.

For an overview of recent research in our team, cf. Science 351, 48-52 (2016), Nature 531, 533-537(2016); Nat Chem Biol 14, 474-479 (2018), Curr Opin Struct Biol 49, 177-189 (2018); Nature 558, 470-474 (2018). For more information, follow @MaierLab on Twitter or visit www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/maier.

Our group is embedded in the focal area “Structural Biology & Biophysics”, which offers a stimulating environment for interdisciplinary research. We collaborate intensely with teams in the areas of cellular signalling and infection biology. Excellent in-house facilities for electron microscopy, proteomics, imaging, biophysics, and large-scale computing support research and training.

We are looking for enthusiastic scientists who share our dedication to solving challenging problems in biology. Postdoc candidates should have obtained their PhD recently or expect to complete their PhD soon and are expected to have demonstrated their scientific excellence by at least one strong published or upcoming first author paper.

Ideal candidates are trained in state-of-the-art structural biology of large assemblies using cryo-EM or X-ray crystallography or have specific prior experience in mTOR signalling or polyketide synthase biology. Experience in eukaryotic protein production, multi-scale modelling, super-resolution microscopy or single-molecule experiments is a plus.

The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading institutes worldwide for molecular and biomedical basic research and teaching. It is home to more than 30 research groups with scientists from over 40 countries. Research at the Biozentrum focuses on the areas of Cell Growth & Development, Infection Biology, Neurobiology, Structural Biology & Biophysics and Computational & Systems Biology. With its more than 500 employees, the Biozentrum is the largest department at the University of Basel’s Faculty of Science. The Biozentrum is dedicated to excellence in research and education and provides outstanding training and career development support for Postdocs.

Basel is an international city with people from 150 nations. Located on the border where three countries meet - Switzerland-Germany-France -, it is Europe’s most important life sciences hub. Basel provides a high standard of living and a rich and varied cultural atmosphere.

Please visit www.biozentrum.unibas.ch/maier for more information and a link to the online application portal. Informal inquiries via e-mail to timm.maier at unibas.ch are welcome.