[3dem] carbon detaching from grids

HAMPTON, CHERI M CTR USAF AFMC AFRL/RXAS cheri.hampton.ctr at us.af.mil
Thu Dec 6 11:47:57 PST 2018

Hi all,

I have suddenly begun experiencing the carbon detaching from my QF R2/1 grids when submersed in buffer and when applying proteins for blotting and cryo-plunging. I have tried two different lots of grids, and now I am suspicious of the facility's plasma cleaner that I have been using to glow discharge. All settings and timings have remained constant on my part. I plan to seek out another plasma cleaner to do a comparison test, but meanwhile, what kinds of solvents or materials placed in the plasma cleaner/glow discharge unit might linger and cause problems? I'd like to justify having a "clean" one just for TEM :)

Thanks for your input,

Cheri

Cheri M. Hampton, PhD
Research Microscopist