[3dem] CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR CRYO-EM BEAMTIME AT ESRF

Eaazhisai KANDIAH eaazhisai.kandiah at esrf.fr
Fri Sep 29 07:04:28 PDT 2017

Dear EM community,

You may be aware, the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) is
currently installing and commissioning a *Titan Krios cryo electron
microscope* (cryo-EM) equipped with a GATAN K2 detector. This new
facility, *ESRF ‘beamline’ CM0**1*, will become operational in
*mid-November 2017*. With this is mind we would like to inform you here
how to apply for access to this new facility.

Applications for microscope access are to be made as Rolling Access
Proposals with the application system open from *28.09.2017*. Initially,
we will be accepting only projects that have been previously evaluated
using cryo-EM and for which suitable proof of the sample quality is
available. This proof has to be included in the application for access
and should consist of cryoEM images taken on any other microscope
showing that the resolution obtained is sufficiently high to justify
extending this using the Titan Krios, coupled with 2D classification
and/or 3D reconstruction results. All proposals will be evaluated by the
ESRF MX Beam Time Allocation Panel (MX-BTAP) which will allocate access
based on the feasibility (see above) and scientific merit.

Guidelines for writing a proposal can be found HERE
<http://www.esrf.fr/UsersAndScience/UserGuide/Applying/ProposalGuidelines/MXRollingCryoEM>.*Please
make sure you use****the correct _"Experimental Method Form" template,
which is spec__ific for CryoEM__beamtime_*_*applications!*_

The microscope (CM01) will be operated in a similar fashion to the ESRF
X-ray beam lines (i.e. 6 days per week during ESRF operations periods
<http://www.esrf.fr/cms/live/live/en/sites/www/home/UsersAndScience/Accelerators/Operation/operationschedules.html>).
An exception will be during the planned ESRF-EBS shutdown when CM01 will
continue both to operate and to accept proposals. Initially, we will
schedule two experiments per week and we will reimburse a maximum of two
visitors per experiment.

Samples can be sent using CF100 dry-shippers as for any other MX
experiment, mentioning CM01 as the beam line where the experiment will
be carried out ( see 'How to prepare your experiment
<http://www.esrf.eu/UsersAndScience/Experiments/MX/How_to_use_our_beamlines/Prepare_Your_Experiment>').

Further information concerning the microscope and how to apply for
access can be found HERE
<http://www.esrf.fr/home/UsersAndScience/Experiments/MX/About_our_beamlines/CM01.html>
<http://www.esrf.fr/home/UsersAndScience/Experiments/MX/About_our_beamlines/CM01.html>or
by e-mail to cryo-em at esrf.fr <mailto:cryo-em at esrf.fr>.