[3dem] CP3 versus EM-GP for SPA

Mike Strauss mikestrauss13 at crystal.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 19 11:07:54 PDT 2017

Hi Laura,

we have a Leica system for plunging. Most of our projects are SPA, and the
results are fine.  It takes some getting used to, and the results seem to
be considerably less consistent than the Vitrobot. Once you get to know
your system, and learn to adjust the various positions and offsets, it
behaves well enough.

One thing I would warn you of is the long bake-out time on the Leica
plunger.  The cryogen area is inside the system, and cannot be accessed by
the user in any practical way, so if you want to have multiple users in the
day, they need to be right after one another, or well-separated.  Our
system has also had troubles with the humidifier unit, where the
(distilled) water level has to be perfect, otherwise it will not work
properly.  But this too is a matter of getting to know your system.

I have very little practical experience with the CP3, so I can't comment.

Regards,
mike