[3dem] Postdoc position in ion channel cryo-EM at Weill Cornell Medical College in NYC

Joel Meyerson jmeyerson at brandeis.edu
Tue Oct 17 07:54:23 PDT 2017

*Postdoc position in ion channel cryo-EM at Weill Cornell Medical College
in NYC*

A fully-funded postdoc position is available in the lab of Dr. Joel
Meyerson at the Weill Cornell Medical College (WCM) in NYC. The lab’s
research is focused on ion channel structure and function, and makes
extensive use of high-resolution single particle cryo-EM and sub-tomogram
averaging, along with an array of biochemical and biophysical methods.

WCM has exceptional cryo-EM facility access as a consortium member at the
New York Structural Biology Center (NYSBC) located a short distance from
the WCM campus in Manhattan. NYSBC resources include three Titan Krios
microscopes equipped with state-of-the-art imaging hardware. Additionally,
WCM will house an on-campus F20 cryo-electron microscope.

Applicants should hold a PhD (or be within ~6 months of holding a PhD) in
the area of biochemistry, biophysics, molecular biology or a related area.
The ideal candidate will have experience in membrane protein biochemistry.
No cryo-EM experience is necessary.

Applicants can send a CV, a brief statement of research experience and
interests, as well as 2-3 contacts for references to joel.meyerson [at]
gmail [dot] com.

*Selected Publications*

Meyerson JR*, Chittori S*, Merk A, Rao P, Han TH, Serpe M, Mayer ML,
Subramaniam S. Structural basis of kainate subtype glutamate receptor
desensitization. Nature (2016).

Meyerson JR, Rao P, Kumar J, Chittori S, Banerjee S, Pierson J, Mayer ML,
Subramaniam S. Self-assembled monolayers improve protein distribution on
holey carbon cryo-EM supports. Sci Rep. (2014).

Meyerson JR, Kumar J, Chittori S, Rao P, Pierson J, Bartesaghi A, Mayer ML,
Subramaniam S. Structural mechanism of glutamate receptor activation and
desensitization. Nature (2014).

Meyerson JR, Tran EE, Kuybeda O, Chen W, Dimitrov DS, Gorlani A, Verrips T,
Lifson JD, Subramaniam S. Molecular structures of trimeric HIV-1 Env in
complex with small antibody derivatives. PNAS (2013).

*Weill Cornell Medicine is a comprehensive academic medical center that's
committed to excellence in patient care, scientific discovery, and the
education of future physicians in New York City and around the world. Our
doctors and scientists-faculty from Weill Cornell Medical College, Weill
Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences, and the Weill Cornell
Physician Organization-are engaged in world-class clinical care and
cutting-edge research that connect patients to the latest treatment
innovations and prevention strategies. Located in the heart of the Upper
East Side's scientific corridor, Weill Cornell Medicine's powerful network
of collaborators extends to its parent university Cornell University; to
Qatar, where an international campus offers a U.S. medical degree; and to
programs in Tanzania, Haiti, Brazil, Austria and Turkey. Our medical
practices serve communities throughout New York City, and our faculty
provide comprehensive care at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell
Medical Center, NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital, and
NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens. At Weill Cornell Medicine, we work together to
treat each individual, not just their conditions or illnesses, as we strive
to deliver the finest possible care for our patients – the center of
everything we do. Weill Cornell Medicine is an Equal Employment
Opportunity/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled employer.*