[3dem] Microtubule in vitro polymerisation

Gregory Alushin galushin at mail.rockefeller.edu
Thu Nov 9 15:08:48 PST 2017

Hi Linda-

We would also see those sorts of blobs from time to time in our negative stain images of microtubules.  Is batch-to-batch variation in tubulin the only thing that is changing between experiments?  We would sometimes include small amounts of NP-40 detergent in our buffers, the stock of which would oxidize with time after being opened and left in the fridge.  Sometimes swapping for a new bottle would solve this type of issue.  Not sure if this is helpful in your case, but non-tubulin buffer variation may be another thing to consider.

Good luck!
-Greg Alushin