[3dem] How to calculate tilt angles in Saxton acquisition scheme?

Charlotte Hamngren Blomqvist charlotte.hamngren.blomqvist at chalmers.se
Fri Mar 31 02:22:19 PDT 2017

Dear all,

I am currently trying to print out all the tilt angles in a tilt series using the Saxton scheme. I find the reference Saxton 1984 unsatisfactory in how to actually calculate the values. Also, in “Electron tomography”, edited by J. Frank p. 143, it says:
“In this [Saxton] scheme, the tilt angle varies as alpha_n+1 = alpha_n + arcsin(sin(alpha_0)*cos(alpha_0)).“

As I interpret this expression, the last term on the right-hand side is a constant, and hence the tilt angles are distributed with an even angular increment throughout the series. This should not be constant!

Please, can anyone shed some light on this? What am I missing here?

Best regards,
Charlotte Hamngren Blomqvist

_______________________
Charlotte Hamngren Blomqvist, PhD
Researcher

Department of Physics
Eva Olsson group
Chalmers University of Technology
SE-41296 Gothenburg, Sweden
Tel +46-(0)31 772 51 80
www.chalmers.se<http://www.chalmers.se/>
E-mail: charlotte.hamngren.blomqvist at chalmers.se<mailto:charlotte.hamngren at chalmers.se>

Visiting address: Fysikgränd 3, room F4417b