[3dem] [TEM] CTF and SNR

Philip Koeck Philip.Koeck at ki.se
Fri Jun 9 02:32:13 PDT 2017

Hi again.

Several people have pointed out that shot-noise is the main noise contribution and that it isn't modulated by the CTF.
I'm having a hard time understanding why it wouldn't be modulated by the CTF.
All shot noise that occurs before the imaging by the objective lens should somehow affect the exit wave, shouldn't it?
(I know I'm switching from a particle to a wave description here.)
Since the whole exit wave (signal and noise contributions) is multiplied by the same phase factor containing the
lens aberration function, the noise in it should be affected by the CTF just as much as the signal.
Now I'm thinking about shot noise produced mainly during elastic scattering in the specimen.
I'm trying not to think of inelastic scattering to keep things simpler.

All the best,

Philip