[3dem] postdoc positions in cryo-EM of viruses and their replication

Lars-Anders Carlson lars-anders.carlson at umu.se
Tue Jul 18 10:44:59 PDT 2017

Dear all,
Two postdoc fellowships are available in my lab at Umeå University,
Sweden. Initial deadline for application is 2017-08-27.

1. Cryo-EM (single particle and tomography) structural studies of virus
particles and protein complexes involved in virus replication. This
project will explore the two ends of the single particle spectrum:
molecules previously considered too small for cryo-EM, and megadalton
virus particles where the infection-critical features break the symmetry
of the virus particle. The fellow will have ample access to the local
Krios with phase plate, GIF and direct detectors, along with great
biochemistry facilities and collaborations with top virology labs.
https://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/jobs/619311-postdoc-opportunity-structural-studies-of-viruses-and-viral-proteins-by-cryo-electron-microscopy

2. Synthetic biology of RNA virus genome replication. This project will
involve in vitro reconstitution and fluorescence microscopy as the main
methods, but can be tailored to include cryo-EM studies of the same systems.
https://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/jobs/619313-postdoc-opportunity-in-vitro-reconstitution-of-human-rna-virus-replication

We are looking for highly motivated candidates with a background in
structural biology, biophysics, biochemistry or a related field. While
prior knowledge of cryo-electron microscopy or in vitro reconstitution
is beneficial, these are the core methods of the lab and we can thus
also provide a postdoc with in situ training specific to the project.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions!

Best wishes,
Lars

--
Lars-Anders Carlson