[3dem] GRC Locations

Jose Maria Carazo carazo at cnb.csic.es
Tue Jan 31 08:50:49 PST 2017

Dear Dave, Dear all,

I think the more we use electronic means, the more we need -from time to
time- a deep personal interaction.... and for me this is one the pillars of
the GRC. Still, a combination of electronic and personal exchanges may be
needed in the future (hopefully, for a relatively short period). This is
probably one of the most simple and viable transitory solutions

Wbw..JM

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 5:38 PM, David DeRosier <derosier at brandeis.edu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would hate to stop our useful interactions.  Would it be possible to
> meet, give talks, and discuss using the internet?
>
> David
>
> On Jan 31, 2017, at 6:14 AM, Marin van Heel <marin.vanheel at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> There is no easy solution to this unnecessary problem: Leaving the GRC
> planning as is will preclude those from many Muslim countries from
> attending; Moving the 3D cryo-EM GRC to Mexico, Canada, or another Latin
> American country, will create problems for those who need to travel back to
> the US afterwards and could become locked out. Maybe the best solutions is
> to put the organization of the 3DEM GRC on halt until this unpleasant US
> Constitutional crisis has been resolved.
>
> Marin

> On 30/01/2017 20:08, Henning Stahlberg wrote:
>

> Dear Nancy,
>
> Science is open and international. The US is currently not, unfortunately.
> Until that situation is resolved, may I ask you to consider moving the
> upcoming GRC conferences to openly accessible locations, such as
> international conference sites as in Cancun in Mexico or in other
> countries.
> This would allow fair and equal access of scientist from all countries and
> religions to your conferences, and prevent a boycott movement from forming.
> Your conferences in Europe and Asia are a great start.
>
> With best wishes,
>
> Henning Stahlberg.
>

> Henning Stahlberg, PhD
> Prof. for Structural Biology, C-CINA, Biozentrum, University Basel
> Mattenstrasse 26 | D-BSSE | WRO-1058 | CH-4058 Basel | Switzerland
> http://c-cina.org | Tel. +41-61-387 32 62 <+41%2061%20387%2032%2062>

> --
>
>     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel
>
>     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing
>
>     Leiden University
>     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
>     Einsteinweg 55
>     2333 CC Leiden
>     The Netherlands
>
>     Tel. NL: +31(0)715271424 <+31%2071%20527%201424> // Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618 <+31%206%2052736618>
>     Skype:  Marin.van.Heel
>     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
>     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

>     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology
>
>     Imperial College London
>     Faculty of Natural Sciences
>     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
>     South Kensington Campus
>     London SW7 2AZ,  UK
>     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
>
>     Tel. UK:   +44(0)2075945316 <+44%2020%207594%205316> //Mobile: +44(0)7941540625 <+44%207941%20540625>

>     Visiting Professor at:
>
>     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
>     CNPEM/ABTLuS, Campinas, Brazil
>     Brazilian mobile phone  +55-19-981809332 <+55%2019%2098180-9332>
>                            (041-19-981809332 TIM)

Prof. Jose-Maria Carazo
Biocomputing Unit, Head, CNB-CSIC
Spanish National Center for Biotechnology
Darwin 3, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
28049 Madrid, Spain

Cell: +34639197980