[3dem] Membrane proteins - announcing the GraDeR website

Florian Hauer fhauer at gwdg.de
Mon Jan 16 23:41:32 PST 2017

Dear colleagues,

We have previously published the GraDeR protocol, which allows the
stabilisation of even delicate membrane protein complexes in a
micelle-free buffer of choice. The absence of micelles and the increased
stability of complexes greatly facilitates cryo-grid preparation and
other analyses.

Recently, the protocol has been used for the determination of the
high-resolution structure of an invertebrate gap junction channel at 3.3 Å:

Oshima, Atsunori, Kazutoshi Tani, and Yoshinori Fujiyoshi. "Atomic
structure of the innexin-6 gap junction channel determined by cryo-EM."
Nature Communications 7 (2016): 13681.

and has been reportedly working on any complex tested so far. We would
thus like to encourage a broader use of the protocol.

We have launched a website:

www.grader-protocol.com

to provide an easy start, detailed protocol information and a video
guide so that the protocol can be readily adapted and pitfalls can be
avoided.

The website also serves as a platform for discussions, updates and as a
way to contact us.

We hope that the GraDeR protocol is useful to you, and we are looking
forward to your feedback and a fruitful exchange!

Best regards,
Christoph & Florian

--
Dr. Florian Hauer
Max-Planck-Institute for biophysical Chemistry