[3dem] "Type of FSC" in EMDB/PDB depositions

Ardan Patwardhan ardan at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 00:26:54 PDT 2016

Dear all

For EM depositions to EMDB and PDB we currently collect information about the FSC. One piece of information is "Type of FSC” which has the following enumerations:
(a) "Even/odd maps refined against the same model (semi-independent)"
(b) "Even/odd maps refined totally independent (gold standard)”

We have received requests from members of the EM community to address the following issues:
(a) The wording “Type of FSC” should be change to reflect the fact that the enumerations actually describe the refinement
(b) The enumerations are poorly worded and the list is incomplete

We propose to make the following change to address these issues:
(a) “Type of FSC” -> “Type of refinement”
(b) Change the enumerations to:
Half-maps refined against same model
Half-maps refined independently
Half-maps refined with frequency range omitted
Other

Note: The ‘Other’ option allows us to accommodate new types of refinement. Over time we can add specific enumerations to describe these new methods.

We would now like to ask for your feedback on the proposed changes. Please email us by Monday 19th September.

Many thanks and best wishes

Ardan & Cathy