[3dem] Regarding Image Quality from FEI Tecnai G2 Polara

Schwartz, Cindi (NIH/NIAID) [C] cindi.schwartz at nih.gov
Thu Sep 8 16:14:10 PDT 2016

Well, this may seem obvious, but we fell into this trap once in Boulder with our TF30. And no one seemed to mention this.

Our rule was that no one was supposed to remove the cryo-box, so we worked for over a year that way on a scope with both plastic and cryo use. Then, a service engineer removed the cryo-box and didn't put it back. Months of trouble-shooting with very similar problems you've described led to an AHA!! moment where we checked and sure enough the cryo-box was out. The new protocol became always check the cryo-box is in before doing anything else. Every time.

It was a very frustrating experience to say the least.

Also, like Guenter, we had bad braids once that led to issues.

I hope you find the issue.
Cheers,
Cindi

--