[3dem] RELION-2.0 general beta release

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 31 08:51:41 PDT 2016

Dear EM-ers,

Please be advised that a beta-version of RELION-2.0 is now downloadable
from the wiki at http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion
As we've moved from our old tarball system to an open git repository on
bitbucket, the line between a beta and stable release has become more
diffuse. Still, after a few months of beta-testing by a group of
experts, we think RELION-2.0 is now ready for a more general round of
beta-testing.

The main new things compared to the previous stable (1.4) release are:

1) GPU-acceleration of 2D/3D classification and 3D auto-refinement. This
has been done through a wonderful collaboration with the group of Erik
Lindahl at the SciLife lab in Stockholm, in particular by his students
Dari Kimanius and Bjorn Forsberg. This makes it possible to do cryo-EM
structure determination in a matter of days on inexpensive desktop
machines (as opposed to weeks on expensive clusters before). The paper
describing this is not yet out, but we have an older version of it on
BioRxiv: http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2016/06/19/059717.

2) Processing of helical assemblies. This is work done by my student
Shaoda He. We're writing up the paper right now, and meanwhile there is
info on how to use it on the wiki. The first structures to have been
solved with this method are on their way too.

3) A pipelined-approach to image processing (including a new GUI).
RELION-2 will keep track of all your jobs, thus facilitating
book-keeping and workflow-based automation (for example on-the-fly
processing during data acquisition). Again, a preprint of the
corresponding paper is on BioRxiv:
http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2016/09/29/078352

NVIDIA has kindly sent us a Titan-X GPU to be given away to the
person/group giving the most useful feedback during beta-testing. Please
use the bitbucket issue-reporting functionality to tell us about bugs:
https://bitbucket.org/scheres/relion-devel-lmb/issues. Please continue
to use the ccpem email list (and not direct emails) for user questions:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/CCPEM.

Have fun,
Sjors, Erik, Dari, Bjorn & Shaoda

--