[3dem] Radiation safety

Wenwen Fang wfang at wi.mit.edu
Fri Oct 28 08:49:26 PDT 2016

Dear 3dem community,

I am new to EM, and I have a rather naive question regarding the safety of
using an electron microscope.  I understand that the microscopes are well
shielded against x-rays that they generate, and when they are installed,
there must be radiation test done near the scope.  However, I wonder if
there are usually routine surveys by universities or institutions, say
every month or every year, just to safeguard against any unexpected
leakage.  And if there is a leakage, would the users be able to tell that
it is happening?

Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
Wenwen