[3dem] Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position at the NIH

Kachar, Bechara (NIH/NIDCD) [E] kacharb at nidcd.nih.gov
Mon Nov 21 12:02:39 PST 2016

Cell biology/Mechanotransduction

The Laboratory of Cell Structure and Dynamics (LCSD), in the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), National Institutes of Health (NIH), is seeking to recruit a highly motivated senior postdoctoral fellow to investigate the molecular basis of mechanotransduction in inner ear sensory hair cells.

The LCSD is located in the newly constructed, multi-disciplinary Porter Neuroscience Research Center on the main NIH campus in Bethesda, Maryland. The laboratory studies the molecular mechanisms by which the actin-based sensory stereocilia establish and maintain their precise shape and exquisite mechanosensitivity. We use a wide variety of in vitro and in vivo techniques, including cellular and molecular biology in combination with advanced light and electron microscopy imaging approaches. We will also be incorporating cryo-electron tomography into our studies and have direct access to state of the art cryo-EM equipment.

Candidates must have a PhD in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Structural Biology, or a related discipline, and 2-3 years of postdoctoral training. The successful candidate will have expertise in cutting-edge molecular and cellular biology, a solid publication record, strong oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work effectively in a team. Experience in cryo-EM or cryo-electron tomography is highly desirable, but not required.
Applicants should submit their curriculum vitae with bibliography, statement of interest, and names and contact information for three references to Dr. Bechara Kachar at kacharb at nidcd.nih.gov. Applications will be reviewed starting December 15, 2016, and accepted until the position is filled. HHS, NIH, and NIDCD are Equal Opportunity Employers. The NIH is dedicated to building a diverse community in its training and employment programs.

For more information about the LCSD and NIDCD, please visit our website:
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/about/staff/bechara-kachar-md
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/research/labs/section-structural-cell-biology