[3dem] De novo model building from medium-resolution cryo EM maps

John Rubinstein john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Mon May 23 11:24:51 PDT 2016

Dear Grigory,

What you are trying to do can be challenging. However, we’ve had some success determining the fold of proteins where no homologous protein structures are known by combining information from evolutionary covariance analysis with cryo-EM maps at ~6 Å resolution. Have a look at these two examples:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26951669
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26439008

For these two manuscripts (3 structures), Daniel Schep built the models manually and obtained evolutionary covariance (aka "evolutionary couplings") information from Deborah Marks’ program EVcouplings (http://evfold.org/evfold-web/newmarkec.do). Evolutionary covariance analysis works best when a large multiple sequence alignment for your protein of interest can be prepared. For example, for the bovine mitochondrial ATP synthase a subunit, where >20,000 sequences are available because of homology to bacterial ATP synthases, constraints on the fold from intra-chain contacts could be detected with excellent signal to noise. For the Thermus thermophilus and Saccharomyces cerevisiae V/A- and V-ATPases, only ~3000k sequences were available (eukaryotes, archaea, and a few eubacteria) and patterns of constraints were noisier but still easily detectable.

Best wises,
John

--
John Rubinstein
Molecular Structure and Function Program