[3dem] Building sway due to wind

John Rubinstein john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Mon May 2 10:52:28 PDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

We are preparing for installation of a Titan Krios in our research tower in downtown Toronto.

We know from experience that in large cities, space low in buildings is often compromised by magnetic fields from subways and other high-voltage equipment, as well as vibrations from subways, streetcars, and traffic. Space that is high up in buildings is often compromised by low frequency vibrations due to the building swaying.

We have identified space that is well within FEI’s installation specifications for both vibrations and fields, above the fields and below the sway. However, my lingering concern is whether the building sway could go from within specification to out-of-specification on windy days. I will consult with a mechanical engineer, but I was wondering whether anyone has had experience with an EM facility where changes in vibrations due to wind were a problem (or were even detectable).

Best regards and thanks,
John

--
John Rubinstein
Molecular Structure and Function Program