[3dem] Sprinklers

James Whisstock james.whisstock at monash.edu
Fri Mar 4 11:36:42 PST 2016

Hi

OK - I checked it out - sorry it was a few years ago when we did all this
and I got it wrong.

We first requested no sprinklers in the microscope rooms, but this was
deemed completely unacceptable by fire / building safety.  We are not
allowed inert gas systems as it means the whole area has to be classified
as highly hazardous (in case they go off) and we didn't fancy being forced
by health and safety to set up grids while wearing a scuba outfit.  We
didn't go with powder (Wim, James, you are right the powder would have
equally damaged the microscope).

Instead we have a double interlock reaction dry sprinkler system with
VESDA.  As I understand it the dry sprinkler is nitrogen reticulated (to
help prevent corrosion in the pipes) and being dry means there is no or
very little water in the pipes above the microscope (although there is
water behind the valve located elsewhere in the building of course). The
key is the VESDA (very early smoke detection) system which, as I understand
it must be triggered together with the sprinkler head being breached in
order for the system to be activated.  Thus simple clobbering of the
sprinkler head through the previously mentioned student soccer games or
just a leak in the system is not enough - the VESDA must also be activated
at the same time to open the valve.  Its not totally foolproof (students
kicking soccer balls at the sprinkler head while juggling firesticks in the
microscope room for e.g.) but seemed the best option we could come up with
and still afford. It added about $150K to the cost.  We also got in writing
that the insurance company recognise and take on the risk.

Hope this helps.

On 5 March 2016 at 05:06, Wim Hagen <hagen at embl.de> wrote:

> James.
>
> I would be interested what powder is used and if instruments can actually
> survive this.
>
> Best,
>
> Wim Hagen
> EMBL Heidelberg
>
> On Mar 4, 2016, at 03:19, james.whisstock at monash.edu wrote:
>
> We have a dry powder sprinkler system - it wasn't cheap - I'll try to find
> out how much offline - but generally in Australia the insurance companies
> demand that one takes "reasonable precautions" to install systems that are
> unlikely to destroy what's under them if accidentally
> triggered....otherwise we are not insured, so we had no option......

> -------
> Professor James Whisstock
>
> Director, ARC Centre of Excellence in Advanced Molecular Imaging
> NHMRC Senior Principal Research Fellow
> Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
> Monash University
> Clayton, Melbourne, VIC, 3800
> Australia
> +61 418 170 585
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 3 Mar 2016, at 6:14 PM, Xu, Chen <Chen.Xu at umassmed.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear List,
>
> We are constructing a new facility for a Titan-Krios. Our construction
> people want to install the usual sprinkler system in case of fire. We are
> concerned about potential water damage to the microscope if there was a
> false alarm. We are wondering whether we should consider an inert gas fire
> suppression system (e.g. argon). Does anyone have experience with such a
> system (and likely cost)?  Or does everyone just accept the risk of water
> damage?
>
> Thanks,
>
>> Chen Xu
> CryoEM Core Facility
> Umass Med School

*PROFESSOR JAMES WHISSTOCK  *
Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Advanced Molecular Imaging
NHMRC Senior Principal Research Fellow

*Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute*
Monash University
23 Innovation Walk
Clayton VIC 3800
Australia