[3dem] Postdoc / Engineer's position in high-end cryo-EM data collection available in Basel, Switzerland

Henning Stahlberg henning.stahlberg at unibas.ch
Mon Jul 25 01:24:10 PDT 2016

We have an opening for a PostDoc / Engineer to support the high-resolution data collection on a Titan Krios and a Polara, using manual and automated operation. Various membrane protein systems are to be imaged in single particle and electron tomography approaches.

Our lab is part of the Biozentrum of the University of Basel in Switzerland, at the border towards Germany and France. The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading institutes worldwide for molecular and biomedical basic research and teaching. It is home to more than 30 research groups with scientists from over 40 countries. Research at the Biozentrum focuses on the areas of Cell Growth & Development, Infection Biology, Neurobiology, Structural Biology & Biophysics and Computational & Systems Biology. With its more than 550 employees, the Biozentrum is the largest department at the University of Basel's Faculty of Science.

The Stahlberg group at the Center for Cellular Imaging and NanoAnalytics (C-CINA) of the Biozentrum studies Parkinson's disease and the structure of membrane protein systems by cryo-transmission electron microscopy (EM). Our methods include high-resolution cryo-EM imaging and image processing, to determine the structure of neuronal tissue by electron tomography, or to determine the atomic structure of the investigated ion channels and transporter membrane protein systems. For this purpose, we operate a FEI Titan Krios, equipped with a Gatan GIF-LS and K2-Summit detector, and also a FEI Polara, equipped with another K2 Summit.

To support operation of these two instruments, and to perform manual datacollection and to setup and run automated datacollection, we are looking to recruit a highly motivated PostDoc or Engineer.
Your responsibilities are
- Vitrification of cryo-EM samples (FEI Vitrobot, Leica GP).
- Operation of the Titan Krios in alignment and manual data collection.
- Setup and run SerialEM to collect electron tomography dataset and single particle cryo-EM datasets in an automated manner.
- Training of students in the above methods.
- Optionally: Data processing: Drift correction, particle picking, 3D reconstruction. These steps are partly implemented in an automated pipeline, based on Zorro (Robb McLeod et al.).

Your profile
Applicants should have experience in cryo-EM data collection. Knowledge of computer automation of workflows (e.g., SerialEM) is also required. The primary language in the laboratory is English.

The positions are funded for 2 years, an extension is possible. For further details, please contact me offline.

Henning Stahlberg
Center for Cellular Imaging and NanoAnalytics (C-CINA)
Biozentrum, University of Basel
Switzerland
Henning.Stahlberg at unibas.ch
http://c-cina.org