[3dem] Anisotropic resolution

R.I.Koning at lumc.nl R.I.Koning at lumc.nl
Mon Sep 7 02:30:08 PDT 2015

Dear Benjamin,

Different spatial sampling, including under sampling, is definitely an issue. I am not sure what you mean with concern, but it is something to keep in mind. You have to understand the limiting factor in the data and the measurements in order to not over interpret any data. Doing concial FSC on tomographic data is definitely not a perfect “resolution” measurement criterion (is there is any).  I would not put any emphasis on the actual values that originate from the individual cones. However, I hope we showed that can be useful when one want to compare similar data or reconstruction techniques in a relative and qualitative manner.

We did try other than 200 cones and this number is optimised for spatial distribution against signal to noise.

Interesting though to scale the resolution relatively. I am not sure I understand what would be 1 then. It probably does not matter since the power is in the relative values anyway. Only maybe when one has a subtomogram average with more data than from one tomogram the values might be somewhat more meaningful.

I am not sure if I understand you last remark. The cones are chosen such that they cover the whole Fourier Space but in opposite directions they are not necessarily exactly the same (there is no symmetry in the cone distribution). So the choice of cone angles is not symmetrical.

Best regards,

Roman

Dr. R.I.Koning (Roman)

Department of Cell Biology, Leiden University Medical Center
Postal Zone S1-P, P.O.Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
visiting address: Einthovenweg 20, Building 2, zone S1-P, room R-90-20
tel. (31) 71 526 9296 fax. (+31) 71 526 8270 mail. r.i.koning at lumc.nl<mailto:r.i.koning at lumc.nl> web. electronmicroscopy.lumc.nl

Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy, Institute Biology Leiden, Leiden University
visiting address: Einsteinweg 55, 2333 RC Leiden, The Netherlands, room 05.11
tel. (31) 71 527 1423 mail. r.i.koning at biology.leidenuniv.nl<mailto:r.i.koning at biology.leidenuniv.nl> web. www.necen.nl