[3dem] ruthenium tetroxide

Johannes Haataja johannes.haataja at aalto.fi
Thu May 28 11:29:02 PDT 2015

Hi all,
 We usually transfer the RuO4 solution to glass vials after breaking the
ampulle and store them inside larger vial (matroska style) in fridge. I
would not use eppendorf tubes, since RuO4 might permeate through plastic
materials*. Even the teflon caps that are used with glass vials tend to
slowly corrode due to exposure to RuO4 atmosphere.

 - J.

* "Solutions will turn black with exposure to organic material or strong
U.V. light"
http://www.polysciences.com/skin/frontend/default/polysciences/pdf/TDS%
20320.pdf