[3dem] ruthenium tetroxide

Gibson, Kimberley kimberley.gibson at yale.edu
Thu May 28 10:45:04 PDT 2015

Hi Frank,

I would assume that you could treat RuO4 similar to OsO4, in which case, assume that it will react rather quickly once exposed to air. If the solution turns dark, then it should be discarded.

Upon opening a vial, you can make smaller aliquots of the 0.5% solution in eppendorf tubes and store them immediately at -20 C until needed. Thaw only those aliquots that you would need.

If you store the liquid solution in a fridge, it should be placed in a plastic, sealable container. It might be better to store the liquid in -20 aliquots as it will likely 'go off' overnight if stored at only 4C once the ampule has been opened.

Hopefully this helps. I admittedly, have not worked with RuO4, but chemically it sounds similar enough to Osmium tetroxide.

Best,

Kimberley Gibson

Post-Graduate Associate, Charles Sindelar Lab

Dept. Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry
Yale University
SHMC-E15
333 Cedar St.
New Haven, CT