[3dem] sharing em maps during peer-review process

Hongwei Wang hongweiwang at tsinghua.edu.cn
Sat May 2 06:57:57 PDT 2015

Dear all,

I strongly support the openness of science as suggested by Ed, Eva, Gab,
Sjors and many others on the mail list. I totally agree that having direct
assessment of the 3D map and models and even a few raw micrographs by the
reviewers will only make the story more solid. The ultimate publication will
also benefit from this for test in the future.

I would like to propose, for the worrisome of competition, that the
community takes account of the map or model's valid deposition date on the
databank server as a criteria to evaluate the novelty and originality of the
work besides the paper's publishing date (receiving date and accepted date
too). Of course, the databank server will need to set clear and strict rules
on the validity of the deposition and probably set some new policy on who
may access the deposited map or models before final release. Grant's
bioarxiv idea may serve similar function as well.

Best regards,
Hongwei

> dear colleagues,
>
> i would be interested in experiences / suggestions / views of others
> in the field on  the following issue that may be of interest to many
> of us:
> the editor of our manuscript forwarded the request of a peer-reviewer
> to access the cryo-em map of our beloved complex. this has never
> happened to us, but to our surprise the editor did not consider the
> request to be unusual.
> of course, we share the point that the map would be of great help in
> judging the interpretation of the data. however, we also feel very
> uncomfortable sending the condensed result of lengthy research to an
> anonymous colleague, who could theoretically make considerable misuse
> of it. nevertheless, the policy of the journal seems to let us little
> choice: "Supporting
> data must be made available to editors and peer-reviewers at the time
> of submission for the purposes of evaluating the manuscript.
> Peer-reviewers may be asked to comment on the terms of access to
> materials, methods and/or data sets".
> in any case we would be curious whether others indeed got similar
> requests and how they dealt with it. a good solution for (paranoid?)
> people like us could be a good web-based viewer that lets others view
> our map, but i would not know of such a tool.
>
> Thanks
>
> Friedrich
>
> --
> Dr. Friedrich Foerster
> Max-Planck Institut fuer Biochemie
> Am Klopferspitz 18
> D-82152 Martinsried
>
> Tel: +49 89 8578 2632
> Fax: +49 89 8578 2641
>
> www.biochem.mpg.de/foerster

Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Francis Crick Avenue, Cambridge Biomedical Campus Cambridge CB2 0QH, U.K.
tel: +44 (0)1223 267061
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/groups/scheres