[3dem] Direct Electron detectors comment

Grassucci, Robert rg2502 at cumc.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 26 12:50:24 PDT 2015

It might be obvious to everyone but I just want to comment on how much easier Cryo-EM data collection has gotten with these new detectors.  From the early days when we used film and shot blind hoping there were particles there or get a clue by parking the beam after the exposure to watch the pattern of bubbles where the particles would be.  Next was the CCD camera where we could focus and see our particles after we had again collected our data on film.  Now with the latest advent of direct electron detectors we are actually screening at relatively low magnifications 3000X and can see particles at that magnification.  Wow!  This is really a great time to be working in the field of CryoEM!

Robert Grassucci
HHMI/Columbia University Medical Center
Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Dept.
Black Building 2-221
650 W 168 Street
New York, NY 10032
Note: New e-mail rg2502 at cumc.columbia.edu<mailto:rg2502 at cumc.columbia.edu>