[3dem] [ccpem] MRC file format (Compressing cryo-EM data to 8-bits/pix and beyond)

Sigworth, Frederick fred.sigworth at yale.edu
Tue Jun 16 09:01:55 PDT 2015

Movies from an electron-counting camera (e.g. K2) can be compressed losslessly quite nicely.  We use the option in SerialEM to write the raw counts (*not* the gain-corrected data) as compressed TIFF files and they are stored at about 4 bits per pixel.

As Marin says, reducing the resolution of “integrating-mode” movie or image data can be dangerous because the quantizing noise (it is theoretically 1/sqrt(12) least-significant bit, RMS) can become comparable to the original noise and thus degrade the SNR.  This is particularly serious when the MTF of the camera dampens the high-frequency signal and noise a lot so they are not faithfully represented with a few bits of resolution.

I’ve been experimenting with lossy compression of Falcon-2 and DD movies.  Theoretically the information content is only a few bits per pixel.  Filtering can be used to counteract the MTF so that the quantizing noise spectral density is kept 100x or 1000x below the noise spectral density.  This means that the SSNR is degraded by only 1% or 0.1% at all frequencies.  For these levels of compression the output files are about 4.5 or 5.5 bits per pixel, respectively.  It seems to me that archiving movies with compression of this sort, especially in online repositories, could be useful.

Fred Sigworth

Fred J. Sigworth
Professor
Yale University