[3dem] Cryo Plunger for cryo EM

John Crum jcrum5th at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:44:08 PST 2015

Hi Andreas and list members,

You have listed all four currently available plunge freezers.

Most manual plunge freezers are lab built (by university machine shops).  I
am designing and building a manual plunge freezer, based on the Purdue
design (I have a copy of the blueprints).  The target price is in the $5K
range.  It is still a few months out...

I've also designed an accessory for the manual plunge freezer- an insert
for the dewar which holds an ethane cup and has a worktable with holders
for square or round cryo grid boxes.  This is currently available directly
from Shapeways (a online 3-D printer job shop) at http://shpws.me/CUvT.
Price is discounted now for early adopters (beta testers).

Cheers,

John Crum
Electron Microscopist
JC Designs/California