[3dem] THE SEVENTH BRAZIL SCHOOL FOR SINGLE PARTICLE CRYO-EM (SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT)

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 18 07:30:47 PST 2015

NOTE: We have experienced a very strong interest in the 7th Brazil
school since its first announcement. The school is already likely to be
oversubscribed so don't delay your registration!

_Second announcement:_

_THE SEVENTH BRAZIL SCHOOL FOR SINGLE PARTICLE CRYO-EM._

11-23 August 2016 (São Paulo, Brazil) (www.single-particles.org/school).

Our single-particle school is a unique intensive 12-day hands-on
course/workshop, in which theory and practice are tightly intertwined.
The understanding of the principles of cryo-EM data processing stands
central in this event and a few pioneers will explain the approaches to
the participants to the level where they can apply it themselves. The
spectrum of topics covered suits attendees who are new to the field as
well as those for whom the cryo-EM technique is of growing importance
and who wish to acquire an in-depth understanding of its fundamental
principles.

The final days of the meeting will be devoted to advanced topics such as
high-resolution refinements and the processing of heterogeneous data
sets ("4D cryo–EM”). Advanced topics will include:

1)Optimizing data collection with direct electrons detectors and
exploiting movies.

2)Full data set automatic CTF correction.

3)Correction of anisotropic magnification.

4)Reaching atomic resolution without reference bias:
alignment-by-classification (ABC) refinement procedures.

5)Unbiased "Random Startup" of 3D and 4D reconstructions.

6)4D refinement procedures for high resolution results using IMAGIC-4D
and/or Frealign.

7)Fitting and refining atomic coordinates in high-resolution cryo-EM
maps (~4Å or better) using programs like REFMAC and Coot.

8)Validation of the final results.

Kind regards,

Marin van Heel

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing

     Leiden University
     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
     Einsteinweg 55
     2333 CC Leiden
     The Netherlands

     Tel. NL: +31(0)715271424 // Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618
     Skype:    Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology

     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK
     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk

     Tel. UK:   +44(0)2075945316 //Mobile: +44(0)7941540625

     Visiting Professor at:

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/ABTLuS, Campinas, Brazil
     Brazilian mobile phone  +55-19-983189143

I receive many emails per day and, although I try,
there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email.
Moreover, our Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes make
legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)