[3dem] [ccpem] on the meaning of fourier shell ofFSC

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 10 05:49:35 PST 2015

On 09/12/2015 02:32, Smith Lee wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Will you please explain to me in plain language on the meaning of
> fourier shell in the term "fourier shell correlation (FSC)?
>
> Smith

Dear Smith

The meaning of "Fourier Shell" or "Fourier Ring" in the definition of
the FSC or of the FRC respectively is clearly explained in the first
publications on the issue (see below). The "Fourier Ring", is a circular
area in 2D Fourier space with an inner radius and an outer radius which
typically has the width "1" . The "Fourier Shell" is a spherical volume
mask in Fourier space with an inner radius and an outer radius, again
with a typical width of "1". The FRC and FSC have become
the "gold standard" quality metrics for measuring reproducible
resolution in electron microscopy,  but are now also used outside the
field of single-particle cryo EM (X-ray crystallography, light
microscopy, for example).  If you have a problem finding these old
papers please request the PDFs from me directly. (You may also want have
a look at the Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_shell_correlation ).

Cheers,

Marin

Harauz, G.; van Heel M "Exact filters for general geometry three
dimensional reconstruction". /Optik/ *73* (1986) 146–156

van Heel, M.; Keegstra, W.; Schutter, W.; van Bruggen E.F.J. (1982).
/Arthropod hemocyanin studies by image analysis, in: Structure and
Function of Invertebrate Respiratory Proteins,EMBO Workshop 1982, E.J.
Wood/. /Life Chemistry Reports/. Suppl. 1. pp. 69–73. ISBN
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Book_Number>
9783718601554
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/9783718601554>

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing

     Leiden University
     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
     Einsteinweg 55
     2333 CC Leiden
     The Netherlands

     Tel. NL: +31(0)715271424 // Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618
     Skype:    Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology

     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK
     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk

     Tel. UK:   +44(0)2075945316 //Mobile: +44(0)7941540625

     Visiting Professor at:

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/ABTLuS, Campinas, Brazil
     Brazilian mobile phone  +55-19-983189143

I receive many emails per day and, although I try,
there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email.
Moreover, our Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes make
legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)