[3dem] [ccpem] on FSC curve (A can of worms...)

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 30 13:50:37 PDT 2015

Hi All,

Signing off or not, I am totally amazed at the level of
controversy/misunderstanding there is even among experts in our field.
This just shows how necessary this type of open discussion is!

There are TWO types of resolution in all fields where Fourier Optics
apply. The two type of resolution are currently probably best defined in
EM simply because in light optics the FRC-type of criteria have just
started its entry. In contrast to what Ed suggests, light optics is
actually lagging behind. The first type of criterion, also the oldest
type, is the INSTRUMENTAL resolution. This probably first emerged in
light-microscopy but is in use everywhere, including astronomy and
electron microscopy. The second type of resolution criterion is related
to the STATISTICAL REPRODUCIBILITY of an experiment conducted with the
instrument.

1) The instrumental or geometric resolution: that is, at which
resolution level does the transfer function of the instrument drop to
zero (independent of any object being present).  Beyond that level, no
matter how long we measure, we will not collect any higher resolution
information about the object. The Raleigh/Abbe formula relating
numerical aperture and resolution fall in that category.   In 2D EM,
once the Contrast Transfer function drops to zero there is no further
information transfer. In 3D, reconstruction, the angular distribution of
the projections defines the maximum (isotropic) geometric resolution
achievable. Our contribution on this issue is: (van Heel and Harauz G:
Resolution criteria for three dimensional reconstructions, Optik 73
(1986) 119-122. )

But the instrumental/geometric resolution does not mean that you will
achieve that level of resolution in any one given experiment! If one
does not switch on the illumination in the light- or electron
microscope, the data collected in the experiment are rubbish, no matter
how good your geometric resolution is! Thus the more practical
statistical significant resolution achieved in one 3D reconstruction
experiment was introduced. Our contribution here was:

2) Fourier Shell Correlation (Harauz G & van Heel M: Exact filters for
general geometry three dimensional reconstruction, Optik 73 (1986)
146-156).  More info in the Wikipedia page:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_shell_correlation).  As is the
case with the 2014 paper Gabor is referring to, the 3D version of the
FSC was actually introduced to show how well 3D reconstruction
algorithms were performing comparing the reconstruction results with the
original, known test object.

Still hope this helps,

Marin