[3dem] [ccpem] on FSC curve (A can of worms...)

Penczek, Pawel A Pawel.A.Penczek at uth.tmc.edu
Sun Aug 30 12:42:31 PDT 2015

Ok, signing off now.

But you can look for holes in EM maps!

Regards,
Pawel

On Aug 30, 2015, at 2:27 PM, Edward Egelman <egelman at virginia.edu<mailto:egelman at virginia.edu>> wrote:

And I thought that you were "signing off"! In optics one uses a test image and there is a well-defined definition of lines of resolution. In crystallography one can look for holes in aromatic rings, etc. as an indication of the true resolution. In both of these cases one is starting with a known object and then looking at the "transfer function" of the imaging system. In EM, unfortunately, self-consistency or arguments about SNR (or estimates of SNR) have substituted for a reality-based notion of an instrumental transfer function. That is because such reality-based tests were absent when one has 15, 20 or 30 Angstroms resolution. But we are no longer at that stage...
Ed