[3dem] Anisotropic resolution

Benjamin Himes himes.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 06:44:19 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

I hate to stir the pot on the resolution discussion, however, I have a
question regarding any progress on analyzing the anisotropy potentially
present in a 3d em map.

Aside from some discussion on 3d ssnr, particularly by P.P. and a recent
paper on 3d covariance estimation from J.F. Has anybody tried to implement
a concrete way of assessing this issue?

I am particularly concerned with maps generated from subTomogram averaging
and classification: even with an angular distribution that is well sampled,
I am concerned about the fact that cumulative dose, and increased sample
thickness on tilting create a situation where the individual projections do
not have equivalent SNR and therefore a simple plot of angular
distributions would not accurately reflect the quality of the sampling in
Fourier space.

It seems a 3d SSNR might work, but the interpretation of such a plot,
beyond its "potato" like quality, even in terms of the eigenvalues of the
principle axes is not immediately clear to me.

Many thanks,

Benjamin Himes