[3dem] [ccpem] on FSC curve (A can of worms...)

Edward Egelman egelman at virginia.edu
Wed Aug 12 06:26:16 PDT 2015

Since Marin brought up the can of worms metaphor, let me just add my own
two bits: FSC has never been a measure of resolution (in the Rayleigh
sense of an instrument's ability two resolve two points) but has been a
measure of self-consistency. One can then argue about the statistics of
this measure, but please keep in mind that this still does not address
the problem that one is still using this to estimate what is
reproducible in a reconstruction and what is noise. This becomes most
obvious if this measure is applied to a structure where symmetry has
been imposed, but I believe that it is perfectly general. If one imposes
the wrong symmetry, one can still measure a self-consistency between two
different reconstructions, but this has no reality in terms of actual
resolution (Egelman, eLife, 2015).
Regards,
Ed

--

Edward H. Egelman, Ph.D.

Professor

Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics

University of Virginia

President

Biophysical Society

phone: 434-924-8210