[3dem] Particle picking within Relion 1.3 using projection images

mf2944 at columbia.edu mf2944 at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 19 06:26:41 PDT 2014

Dear all,

first of all thanks for the suggestions. And sorry for the late reply,
but I was testing a few options.

@Sjors:
I used now relion_project to create the projections (I was not aware
of this command, thanks). The result is exactly as before. However, in
these attempts I used a map after post-processing. I now also tried to
make reference projections from the map after the 3D refinement step
and now there are a few particles picked with very low FOM values.
Meaning the true particles have a FOM range of 0.01 to 0.1. But it is
actually picking less efficient than using the classes from 2D
classification missing my rare orientations (only ~100 particles
compared to 300 particles using 2D classes).

Next time I will also used the proper list for the technical relion questions.

@Carlos Oscar:
No, I did not try to do particle picking in Xmipp yet. In principle I
can get particles picked using either arachnid or relion, but I was
hoping to pick more efficiently the less common orientations.

@Xiaochen:
The reference map was constructed from one of my previously refined
and post-processed reconstructions in relion. As stated above I used
now also a reference projection from the 3D refinement step and the
picking is better, but not good.

I will probably go ahead and do first a full 2D classification and use
the resulting 2D classes, which will also contain some less common
orientations, in a new round of particle picking.

Cheers
Marcus