[3dem] Biological TEM Standards

David Gene Morgan dagmorga at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 15 09:26:22 PDT 2014

Hi,

	Just to jump back in, I fully agree with Reinhard about the value of
preparing the sample yourself.

	Another issue with grids of negatively stained catalase is that they
don't age well.  A freshly made grid with freshly prepared crystals will
show multiple orders of diffraction from the stained crystals either in
electron diffraction mode or when looking at the Fourier transforms of
images of the stained crystals.  As time goes by (and especially if the
grids are not stored under constant temperature and humidity), the
number of diffraction orders that are visible will decrease.  In my
experience, purchased grids with negatively stained catalase are never
as good as ones I have made myself, and often only show one or maybe two
diffraction orders when they arrive from the manufacturer.

	One other thing that preparing the crystals yourself allows is you can
do things like glucose embedding, standard freezing for cryoTEM, etc.
If you purchase a prepared grid, you only get the stained crystals, and
you can teach so much more if your students can prepare the same sample
multiple ways.

--
                  David Gene Morgan
              Electron Microscopy Center